Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Fake Outs

A couple times over the years, candy companies have come out with a “white chocolate” version of their famous candy.  I admit, I fell for it.  I bought a few packs of Reese’s Peanut Butter White Chocolate Easter Egg Cups.  I got in the car, ripped open the pack and dove right in.  I’ve always been amazed at how quickly my body could identify something I’m not supposed to eat.  It is almost instantaneous.  My brain says “Yucky! Spit it out!”  Bastards! They snuck a layer of dark chocolate under the white coating!  I think I threw the rest of the packs away.  I felt so betrayed.  And involving peanut butter in the deception was just salt in the wound.

Another time, my aunt and uncle brought me White Chocolate Kit Kat Bars.  I was thrilled—a taste of normalcy!  Or at least as close as I was ever going to get.  But again, they hid layers of chocolate in between the layers of cookie.   I don’t know if you’ve ever done this but, if someone offers you something to eat and you almost immediately spit it out…it’s just not a situation one can get through gracefully. 

So I don’t have a lot of faith or loyalty to candy companies.   And don’t think for a second that I will be able to forgive or forget these past transgressions even now that I can eat the originals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment