Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Dogs and chocolate



When I was little, I was terrified of dogs.  I was convinced they all wanted to bite me.  There’s a notation in my baby book in my mom’s writing that says, “We have been practicing with a beagle at the house.  You and your sister lived on the couch for a week”.    Obviously, my mom wanted a dog, but with half of her children afraid to expose even their toes to such a vicious creature as a dopey beagle, there was little chance of it happening. 

What finally allowed me to get over my fear of dogs?  I found out that dogs can’t eat chocolate. I thought I was the only one!  The enemy of my enemy…kinda.  But that was all I needed.  We got a golden retriever puppy shortly afterwards.  We named her Nutmeg and we all adored her.  I was in kindergarten when she joined our family.  She lived to the end of my first year of college.

Last night I read that, ironically, the spice nutmeg is actually very toxic to dogs.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment